Recommendations on packing items for storage
- Use large boxes for lighter items and smaller boxes for heavier items.
- Small boxes are suggested for books, which should be packed flat for better protection.
- Utilize large items for extra storage space.
- Refrigerators, freezers etc. are great for storing soft items such as linens, towels and clothing.
- Wrap dishes and glassware individually. Line the inside of the box with packing paper or bubble wrap. It’s best to store plates on their sides.
- Take special care when packing mirrors. Mirror packs or strong cardboard help prevent damage.
- Placing pallets, tarps or plastic sheeting on the floor of your unit before storing will help keep moisture from damaging your valuables. Allow for proper ventilation by not packing items right up against the walls.
- Allow enough space in front of your unit, and keep the items you use often within easy reach. Items people most frequently return for are clothes and files; it is recommend you label these things and keep them towards the front of your unit.
- Stacking uniform size boxes helps maximize your available space. Don’t stack higher than you can comfortably reach.
- Store items of high value toward the back of your storage unit in unmarked boxes.
- Protect furniture, including mattresses and box springs, with plastic covers, and stand on end.